Tuesday 19 July 2011

Keep it Real to get the feel

They say “Don’t judge a book by its cover” and I am on an eternal mission to find out who this elusive “they” were and ensure that these “they” get a standing ovation. When this mission is accomplished, my second mission would be to ensure that all my teachers, professors and few elite members of my family get to read and understand this quote! Well this second mission of mine goes way back in time which is filled with sarcastic comments, punishments and consistent reprimands for my rebellious dressing sense. And it is not like I didn’t protest; I was like Gandhiji who fought against the British rule with a loin cloth against the khaki tyranny. But then I had very little success in this fight because unlike the “Father of the Nation” who had the support of the whole nation, I lacked support from my own father!!!
The above paragraph proves my non affability towards the conventional mediums of dressing, much popularly tagged as formals. But my line of studies demanded such attire and I could be rebellious for just a certain period. I mean, being rebellious is cool, but a red one fit cap on my formals doesn’t say rebellious as much as it says lack of dressing sense! So I began the hunt, the hunt to find that line of work that lets you be and then I landed on a goldmine called creative communication. Popularly tagged as the media line, it offers a perfect dress code for people like me, which in short means that they have no dress code! From casuals to the Indiana Jones attire, everything is passed of as normal without those life changing stares and glares. And for someone like me for whom what I wear reflects what I feel, it’s a boon granted by the lords above.
Now due to my incessant rambling, the few people reading this blog shouldn’t misinterpret the agenda of this article. The idea is not to convey that since the creative communication field has a liberal dress code it’s an ultimate choice for anyone or everyone. The agenda is to convey that creativity can be derived more successfully by allowing a certain amount of freedom helping to unleash the creative minds. After all many bosses in the creative communication line believe that the right mood and the right feel will provide the right content. But again this fact shouldn’t be misconstrued as a feeling that the right attire gives the right thoughts. I mean, camouflage shorts don’t enhance your thinking power they just enhance your ability to beat the heat and give you one less point to worry about. In short, no amount of cool, rebellious or hip dressing sense can provide you with creative thoughts. Also even in this field with all its freedom and liberty, some unsaid guidelines are to be followed. While meeting clients or people whom you are interacting for the first time a decent dress code is in demand. This means that cargo shorts and “Che Guevara” t-shirts might not tell the client about your free and liberal state of mind but will most probably tell them that you are not the right person to talk to and you shall get skipped.
Now speaking about myself, I have always loved the liberty of having a dressing sense which says “I don’t care”. There are enough pros and cons of it with which I have made my peace, but that might not hold true for everyone. The belief is that if your college or work allows you to wear what you like then please wear what you like and not what others would like. At the end of the day what holds true is the fact that “Keep it real to get the feel”…

No comments:

Post a Comment